A solid is made of two elements P and Q. Atoms Q are in CCP arrangement, while atoms P occupy all the tetrahedral sites. What is the formula of the compound?
Number of atoms ‘Q’ in the CCP or FCC arrangement = 4 atoms
As we know, if the number of atoms in the arrangement is ‘N’ then the number of tetrahedral voids will be ‘2N’.
All the tetrahedral voids are occupied by atom ‘P’, So, number of atoms ‘P’ = 2 × 4 = 8 atoms
Hence, the simplest formula of compound is P8Q4 or P2Q
You should check out our other content to boost your self-study.
- You can read and download our notes
- You can practice multiple choice questions.
- You can practice short and long answer questions
- You can watch our pre-recorded video lectures.
- You can participate in multiple choice questions quiz.